Have you heard of Neuro Linguistic Programming, or NLP?
It’s an incredibly useful behavioural science that can help you change your life.
Developed in the 1970s, it combines techniques from neurology, computer science, and linguistics that can help you achieve your potential.
But what is it and how does it work?
NLP is often described as the science of excellence in humans and involves modeling the language structure and behaviour of successful people.
This means that if you want to be a happy, successful person, you can’t go wrong by thinking, talking, and behaving the way happy, successful people do. And if you utilize NLP in your speech, you are better able to persuade and convince others with greater success, too!
Basic NLP Principles
There are many variants of NLP, and there is some debate between practitioners about which is the right or wrong NLP. However, even with these hot debates, the basic principles are the same, and all agree that it works to make your life more fulfilling.
There are two big principles of NLP. Let’s take a look at each one.
- The map is not the territory. This means that, as a person, you have no way to actually understand reality. Instead, you understand your perceptions of that reality, and those perceptions may be flawed. You use your senses to create a map of what you believe is there. These maps determine your behavior, not reality itself. If your map is skewed, you’ll behave in ways that are skewed, too.
- Life and mind are systemic processes. This means that the things going on inside your mind and body, and between you and your environment, can’t be isolated from one another. Trying to do so won’t result in success.
Every NLP technique you encounter is based on these principles. They can help you understand how your brain works, how you store information, and how to change your behaviours to ones that are more desirable.
Here are some specific ways that NLP can help you:
- NLP can help you be more effective in your career. It can build your skills in teamwork, personal development, coaching, leadership, sales, and productivity. No matter what it is, if there’s a potential for growth and human interaction is present, NLP can help.
- Goal Achievement. You can use NLP to help you set and achieve goals, as long as those goals are intelligent, measurable, meaningful and achievable. For example, no program can guarantee you earn three million dollars in a month unless you already have a logical means to draw this income. However, this method could be the one you use to successfully strengthen your skills and interactions with others. It can change the way you think and speak, and motivate you to take appropriate actions to achieve your goals.
- Mental Health. NLP can help you overcome mental and emotional disorders and phobias.
- NLP can bring you a happier and more fulfilling life.
If you’re interested in learning how to make a change in your life, NLP could be the tool you’ve been looking for.
Quite simply, NLP involves studying successful people and the steps they take to achieve such success. This success can come from any part of your life.
Overcoming phobias, learning how to speak with confidence in front of large groups, and learning how to have a loving personal relationship are all issues that can be helped with NLP techniques. Investigate your options with NLP; you’ll be surprised by the difference it can make in your life!
P.S. Looking for an NLP certified coach? We can help.